Sunday, May 28, 2017

Crossing boarders

Hola a todos!

I am actually updating around an hour earlier than usual, because the time zone is different here.  If you couldn´t tell from the title, I have crossed over some boarders today!  I am actually in England right now, in Birmingham!  I am here because Vicente needs to buy some car parts, so I decided to tag along!

It was a bit nerve racking trying to get onto the plane, because we went to the airport in Portugal first to catch the plane to England.  But, when we were getting our passports and tickets scanned right before the plane, the lady asked to see my visa.  And of course, I don´t actually have one because I am not staying longer than three months, so she was like ´no you can´t enter´ and we were all worried, but then it was all goods cause she asked a superior and bam I was allowed on the plane!

Hearing everyone talking in English after 2 moths of basically nothing is so different! I don't know how I am going to survive when I go back to NZ, because I am so used to Spanish, and driving on the opposite side of the road! When we got into the car, I got into the drivers side on accident!!  I find it really weird talking in English now as well, writing is fine but when I hear my own voice, it sounds so ... different!

I am now officially a member of the club ´Real club Nautico de Vigo´, a swimming club.  There was a race meet on this weekend, but unfortunately  I was too late to enter!  But there is another one on Sunday this week, so I am going to go!!  They say my times are pretty good, but with only a bit of training I guess we will see what happens!

I also went out on Friday to buy some gifts and look at a Navy ship, because it was the day of the armed forces, but sadly it closed before we got there!  Instead, we found a random bike museum, watched a big cruise ship leaving the port, biked around with a blindfold, and ate some ice cream. 

There are so many exams I need to do now, I have already done philosophy, anatomy and biology, and I still have to do a Spanish speech, more biology next week, a cultural science project and I don't even know what else!  I do actually study, because it helps with my vocabulary in Spanish, but it is still pretty hard.

I helped cook a tortilla this week, and I also made some crepes with Mario, a few were burned in the beginning but we figured it out pretty quickly after that!  There was also a bit of a storm on Friday, and there was a huge amount of lighting and thunder, and my host uncle got a photo which I will put here of it! 

Nothing much else has happened (I don't think), so I will put my photos here for you guys to enjoy :)
Standing to attention, the Navy ship is the one in the background

Don't really know what we are doing in this, but here ya go.


In the background are small houses, and they used to be used in the past.  So this is how the Celtics lived here in Vigo, in these small huts.

This is the lightning from the storm on Friday

Me biking around blind! They have made a new bike so blind people can bike with another person, and it is actually pretty scary biking around and having no idea where you are!

Giant watermelon Vicente bought the other day

I think ate most of this...

Clearer photo of the Navy ship

This statue is called 'El sireno' and is one of the most iconic statues in Vigo, but to be honest I find it a lil ugly :p


Random escalators

The big cruise ship is in the background

Tortilla I helped make, which is probably why it is a bit burnt

At the bike museum, some random photos.

The crepes Mario and I made



Buinsimo

Random place to buy oysters

Small video of the swimming competition, what they say instead of 'take your marks', and the yellow buckets beside the blocks are to splash yourself with water before you race :p

That's all from me, hope everyone at home is looking forward to seeing me, because I basically have only three weeks!  Have a good week and I'm sure I'll have plenty to talk about in my next update on Sunday :)

Hasta luegooooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment