Saturday, April 1, 2017

Hola! 

Happy to say that I made it to my destination, Vigo!!  The flights were very long, and on the flight to Dubai, there were 5 babies in my area on the plane, 5!  So, I got next to no sleep :(  The food made up for it, because it was very good!  I was able to buy some presents for my family at Dubai airport, so the flight was worth it.  Madrid airport was a bit harder to understand, one because it was in Spanish and 2 because they didn't call out boarding flights! You had to know exactly what time to be at the gate, and what gate to be at. 

I also met my host family for the first time, and they are amazing!  They are all so nice, and Mario, my host brother, is teaching me how to play the guitar! So far, I can play (very badly) Old McDonald had a farm!  Vicente, my host dad, makes the food and he is a very good cook!  It is very different because we have a huge meal for lunch, with dessert, and dinner is very small, maybe a sandwich or some fruit.  I thought I would be getting more hungry, but I have adjusted pretty well!  It is difficult to understand when they speak in Spanish, but if I know the topic, like if they are speaking about football, or about school, I can pick up some words and kind-of understand what is going on.

I started school this week, but only went for two days.  School is very difficult, not many of the students know any English, so if I don't know the words in Spanish, it is very hard to have a conversation.   Some of the teachers don't seem to understand that I'm not fluent, because when they ask if I know Spanish I say yes, but I find speaking hard, and then they say 'well you probably won't understand anything then'.  Fun fun for me! :-/

My physics/chemistry teacher is from Canada, and he knows English and understands that I am there to learn Spanish more than physics, so he put me with a girl who doesn't know any English so I can try and talk to her!  It is very hard, but hopefully I will get better soon!

I haven't done much else, just tried to get used to the time difference and make sure I'm doing everything I can to help out the host family!  Today, I went to my host sister, Irlanda's, roller skating competition and it was very exciting!  It was like figure skating, but on roller blades!! 

I am going to upload weekly, so I will have something new next Saturday!  But if something exciting happens, I will update earlier! Tomorrow there is a celebration/festival in Vigo, to commemorate the people that helped get the French out of Vigo!  Hopefully I can get some good photos there!

Hope everyone back home is doing good, and not missing me too much :p
Adios for now!

Some of the skaters practising their routine

Each club in front of the podium, my host sister has the purple skirt on the right.


We had lunch in a café during the break in the competition, it was three courses!  My first course was meatballs, which were really nice!  Next I had this, which is Hake!  It was very good also but there were a lot of bones in the fish which I kept getting stuck in my teeth!!  And for dessert I had some custard and fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment